The main suspicious in the Christchurch attacks in March has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
Brenton Tarrant is charged with the killing case of 51 peoples, 40 counts of attempted murder and one violence charge in New Zealand’s deadliest peace time mass shooting.
The 15 March violence saw a gangster start firing on Muslims during Friday prayers.
This is the first time a violence charge has been brought in New Zealand.
A number of the fighters of the attack and relatives of the victims were in court for the hearing.
- How the attacks spread-out
- Who were the fatalities?
- Christchurch suspicious charged with terrorism
As lawyer Shane Tait speak out his client’s not shamefaced appeals, a number of those present gasped and became tearful.
High Court Fairness Cameron Mander said the trial had been set for 4 May next year, and that Mr. Tarrant would be incarcerated in custody until a case review hearing on 16 August.
At his last court arrival in April, he was well-ordered to undergo mental health valuations to decide whether he was fit to stand trial.
Judge Mander said in a statement on Friday: “No issue rises concerning the defendant’s fitness to plead, to instruct counsel, and to stand his trial. A fitness hearing is not required.”
‘New Zealand’s darkest day’
The suspicious was under arrest on 15 March for his unproven involvement in the shootings at the Al Noor mosque and the Linwood Islamic Centre, both located in Christchurch.
He supposedly herd first to the Al Noor mosque, parked nearby and began firing into the mosque as he walked in through the front entry.
He purportedly fired on men, women and children inside for about in five minutes. The violence was live-streamed from a head-mounted camera.
The suspicious then supposedly drove about 5km (three miles) to the Linwood mosque and murdered more people.
Speaking the nation in the wake of the attack, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called it one of the country’s “blackest days”.